After the initial reasearch, I started iterating on a number of ideas for the new user experience by creating low-fi designs in Balsamiq. For each iteration I created an InVision proptotype to allow the team to experiment the new design direction.
Once completed the wireframes and defined the user flow, I started the design exploration. I created a set of style tiles to decide together with the team on typography, colour schemes and high level look and feel of the new designs.
During the 3 months I was at byStored, we established a fast pattern of designing, testing and implementing new ideas. We tested our ideas with different methods from in-person user testing/interview, online user testing/interview and A/B testing. Based on the outcomes from testing, we iterated several times on the redesign.
On several iteration we focused on testing the best way to display our storage units. We discovered our users didn't have a good sense of the size of each storage unit so I decided to test a design with an isometric model of each unit.
Below, the user is able to switch between 2 views, one to see how the units relate in size to a human and one to see how some common objects fit inside the unit.